Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Rachel Skinner - Week 4 Milestone


-script under the cut-


NIGHT, OUTSIDE AMINAH'S TENT
AMINAH is preparing to go out on her nightly assignment. Armed with her trusty early handheld camera, flashlight, notebook, and other various items used for tracking she ventures beyond her camp to search for clues. The player will lead her around the forest in a small radius, looking at small little clues before finding a big one that leads them down a path to where the encounter will occur. Once Aminah reaches a certain point, her flashlight will start to flicker and fail.
She starts to hear rustling and begins to panic. Moving forward triggers another sound, louder and accompanied by a grunt. [JERSEY has been caught in a forgotten, leftover trap.] Players are still in control of her at this point, until she walks far enough to trigger a cinematic where her flashlight works again, shining right on Jersey, who has been investigating the scene as well. They stare at each other in shock for a few seconds before Aminah shrieks, making Jersey shriek in fear as well.
Aminah falls onto her keister, and Jersey scrambles backwards as well; but can only get so far with a snare around her leg. They eventually stop screaming and just stare at each other, both stunned and wondering what their next action should be. Aminah comes to her senses first.
AMINAH
You... You're – a cryptid, aren't you?
She shifts to a more stable position as Jersey – agitated and flustered - speaks without thinking.
JERSEY
Yeah, what of it?
AMINAH
I never thought I would see one up close. Judging from our location... and your appearance... you are the Jersey Devil! Right?!
She looks excited and nervous. Jersey, having spent that whole speech trying to pry the snare off. When she hears her own title, she starts, then realizes exactly what is happening: she's been revealed!
JERSEY
Uuhh – No! I'm a mutated cat! This isn't happening – you hit your head and you're dreaming right now! You should probably do something about that immediately.
Her attempts become more desperate; she's cursing herself at this point. Aminah ignores her and keeps talking, a wistful and dreamy look in her eyes.
AMINAH
Oh I never thought I'd ever meet a real cryptid before! I'd always hoped, but never did I imagine! Oh, the guild will be so happy to hear this!
JERSEY
The... The “guild?” There are others? An entire guild? You... are you the one taking my friends?
Jersey looks fearful. Aminah comes out of her revere and looks confused and shocked.
AMINAH
Taking...? Your friends are disappearing? Wait – there's really more of you out there? Oh this is so – are you alright?
She finally notices Jersey's predicament. Without thinking or giving Jersey a chance to say no, she reaches forward to grab the snare. AMINAH
Hm, this is strange... it's made of metal. Hold on, I've got just the thing.
She reaches into her boot and pulls out a swiss army knife, and quickly flips it open to a pair of threatening looking wire-cutters. Jersey goes pale. But before she can react any further, Aminah slips them through the loop holding Jersey's leg and cuts them clean off. Jersey inspects her ankle, surprised.
JERSEY
So... you're not the reason why my friends are disappearing? Then why are you here?
AMINAH
I was sent to the United States by my guild to investigate a few recent cryptid sightings here. It's my first official assignment!
Her excitement quickly fades to confusion and curiosity.
AMINAH
You said your friends are missing? Hmm... I did get a letter sent by my guild that did say there were a few rumors going around recently. Something about a famous hunter's mysterious announcement and disappearances of local cryptids from other investigators. I guess there is some foundation to all that.
Her expression is contemplative. She seems to get an idea.
AMINAH
Ah! Why don't I help you look for them?
JERSEY
'Help me look for them'?!
AMINAH
Yes, you wanted to find them right?
Jersey considers this for a few seconds, weighing her options. She reluctantly concedes.
JERSEY
Okay, fine. You can help.
She stands, testing the weight on her leg before dusting herself off. Aminah is delighted.
JERSEY
I guess I should properly introduce myself. I'm Jersebelle Deville, but you can just call me Jersey.
AMINAH
And I am Aminah. It is very wonderful to meet you Jersey!
Jersey gives a small smile, then quickly hides it. She turns around.
JERSEY
Alright. (she gestures) I've been tracking this trail for a few days. Right now, we're standing in the spot where supposedly my friend the Mothman [-Aminah: “Mothman?”-] was last seen. Some think this is where he was captured. Since I found that trap, I'd say that rumor is pretty founded. I need to look around and find any clues, any at all, that could give me any information on what happened.
At this point players will be able to control Aminah. She will wander around until players trigger the first clue, which will lead into some dialogue that will go like this:
AMINAH
(quietly, to herself) Ah, I think this could be something.
She takes a picture of it before picking it up.
JERSEY
What was that?
AMINAH
I took a picture! Documenting evidence, so we have it all laid out before us later.
JERSEY
Oh. That's a good idea.
AMINAH
If you find something, you can mark it and I'll take a picture of it too!
The player goes back to searching. After documenting and picking up all the items available to Aminah, another cutscene will trigger that switches player control from Aminah to Jersey.
AMINAH
This is all great stuff! Any luck on your end?
JERSEY
Sort of.
Player takes control of Jersey here. Using her other abilities (night vision, greater sense of smell, flight [to find things harder to see], etc.) players can find evidence hidden to Aminah's senses. [also doubles as a tutorial] Jersey inspects then marks what she finds and Aminah can be seen following her and photographing it. After all this is said and done, they stand and look at each other.
AMINAH
So? What are your thoughts?
JERSEY
It looks like there was a struggle here. I'm almost 100% positive this is where Mothman was caught. There is also evidence of something... bigger here, like a big square thing. There's many tracks, and a big indent in the ground. I can also smell some peculiar scents here; at least one other human.
AMINAH
Goodness, that is a lot. I think I came to nearly the same conclusion too. Is there anything else you think is important now?
Jersey shakes her head no, distracted. She puts her hands on her hips.
AMINAH
Well! I can develop this film in my tent and we can look at it more tomorrow; I'll also analyze this evidence in the morning. Maybe there's something that we missed that we'll only see after a good night's sleep.
She beams at Jersey.
AMINAH
I am so happy to have met you, Jersey! I was beginning to wonder if we at the guild were all on a wild goose chase!
Jersey smiles again; she was glad to know that her small hunch about humans was so far proving correct.
JERSEY
I appreciate the assistance. It would be a huge relief to find my friends safe and sound.
She turns, intending to fly into the night and letting Aminah do what she wants.
JERSEY
And... thanks. For helping me too.
With that she's off. Aminah watches her go, slightly surprised at the sudden exit. Then she smiles too and gathers her things, heading back to her tent.
END SCENE
[small aside]
Aminah wakes and pokes her head out of the tent, wondering if last night was a wild dream. She goes back in, closes up her tent, and develops the film. After seeing the developments, she is reassured that she is not crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment